1975 FMC Motorhome
"J model" floorplan has a sofa lounge with twin tuckaway tables.
A restored collectible, the 1975 FMC Model J, reflects the lineage of high end RVs built for a lifetime. FMC is the acronym for Food Machinery Corporation, which began operations in 1883 and continually added mechanized products and eventually started producing amphibious vehicles for the military.
During a lull in its military vehicle contracts in the late 1960s, FMC turned its manufacturing towards recreational vehicles. Known as the best built, most luxurious RVs in the marketplace, owners in the day included race car driver Mario Andretti, entertainers Clint Eastwood, Carol Burnett, Pat Boone and James Brolin. The most famous FMC owner was CBS reporter Charles Kuralt, host of On the Road With Charles Kuralt, the last of Kuralt's six motorhomes. It is on public display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.
FMC coaches were manufactured from 1973 to 1976. By 1975, FMC began to produce the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, and in September 1976 converted all tooling in its factory to the manufacture of tanks. The final tally for the FMC was slightly more than 1,000 units. There is believed to be 7-800 units still out there.
Many RVs built today reflect the quality innovation of FMC, with many high end coaches now featuring independent suspension, rear engine powertrain, enclosed tanks, and central air conditioning.
This coach is powered by the tried and true FMC powertrain:
1. Converted from a Chrysler gas powertrain to a diesel pusher in 1990, it has a General Motors Detroit Diesel 8.2 liter engine installed at 86,358 miles on the RV
2. 500 lbs ft of torque or power
3. New Allison transmission installed in 1990
4. New chassis battery December 2017
5. New house battery July 2018
Includes the following aftermarket installations:
1. New 6000 watt gas generator in 1996
2. Duo Therm water heater in 1994
3. 22.5 inch Alcoa chrome aluminum wheels
4. Full body Imron paint in 1990
5. Upgraded driver and passenger seat
6. New Maxx air fan
7. New black, grey, and fresh water piping
Includes the following factory installed features:
1. Custom steel chassis with aluminum upper cage frame and fiberglass exterior
2. Twin bed floor plan with bunk beds
3. Master bedroom game Table
4. 84 cubic ft of interior storage
5. Winterization kit
6. 4 burner stove
8. 33 foot Turning Radius
9. Sofa bed
10. Rear twin beds
11. Drop down beds in master bedroom
Includes the following exterior highlights, in addition to the specifications on our website page and brochure:
1. 60 gallon fuel capacity
2. 20 gallon LP capacity
3. 6 gallon LP water heater with engine preheat
4. 50 amp electrical service
5. Central air conditioning system
6. Trailer tow package
* When this unit was for sale in August of 2018, it had an asking price of $29,900. *